Connect with us

Breaking News

Abule-Egba Explosion: Sanwo-Olu visits Victims at Relief Camp

Published

on

Abule-Egba Explosion: Sanwo-Olu visits Victims at Relief Camp

…Says State Government To Meet NNPC On Compensation For Displaced Persons

Lagos State Government will be meeting with the management of Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) to discuss issues of compensation for victims of the January 19 pipeline fire in Abule Egba, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu said on Saturday.

Sanwo-Olu said the Government would also be discussing with the corporation on measures to be taken in finding a lasting solution to incidents of pipeline vandalism in the State.

The Governor disclosed this while sympathising with over 300 displaced victims of the inferno resettled in Igando Emergency Relief Camp in Alimosho by the State Government.

It would be recalled that Sanwo-Olu was on a week-long working visit to the United Kingdom (UK) when the incident occurred. However, his deputy, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat, led cabinet members and top Government officials on a visit to the scene of the fire last Tuesday.

The Governor said the compensation plan would be extended to those whose properties were razed in the inferno, adding that some of the victims who rented homes in the area would also be supported to re-adjust back to their normal lives.

He said: “As a responsible Government, we need to go back and have a thorough discussion with NNPC on what kind of lasting solution we are expecting and compensation we can make available for the victims so that we can resettle them back into their community. We will also be looking at various forms of affordable accommodation for some of them, who rent homes in the community.

“We have taken enumeration and we know the status of each of the displaced families that are clustered in this relief camp. We will work with the records for the compensation and every one of them will be reintegrated back to their community.”

Sanwo-Olu described the incident as a “regrettable disaster”, saying the Government felt the pain of the innocent victims who bore the losses of the pipeline vandalism.

The Governor said the State took the step to resettle the victims at the Igando relief camp to ensure they were not left to their fate and in deplorable conditions in their moments of despair.

“For the period the victims will be in settled in the relief camp, we will ensure our responsibility both medically and nutrition-wise; we will take care of them until the coast is cleared for them to return to their community,” the Governor promised.

The excited victims appreciated the State Government for looking after their welfare in the aftermath of the disaster, describing the relief programme as an “unexpected gesture”. They said the State Government’s effort had been helping them to cope and keep up with life.

The Igando relief camp is equipped with various amenities, including primary healthcare centre, constant water, and electricity.

Advertisement
Click to comment
avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of

Breaking News

FG files fresh charge against Sowore, Bakare

Published

on

Sowore

Omoyele Sowore, Convener, #RevolutionNow, and his co-defendant, Olawale Bakare were, on Thursday, arraigned by the Federal Government before Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu on fresh charges.
Sowore and Bakare, however, pleaded not guilty to the amended two-count charge brought against them by the office of the Attorney General for the Federation (AGF).

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the charges include: conspiracy to commit treasonable felony, contrary to Section 516 of the Criminal Code Act, Cap. C38 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004; and treasonable felony, contrary to Section 41(a) of the Criminal Code Act, Cap. C38 Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004 which are punishable under the same section of the Act.

At the resumed hearing, Justice Ojukwu struck out the 7-count charge earlier filed against the defendants, following an application by the AGF counsel, Aminu Aliyu, asking for the substitution of the previous charges with the new ones.
Alilu also brought forward the evidence of payment of the N200, 000 fine imposed on the prosecution by the court.

However, when the AGF lawyer told the court that he was in the court with the witnesses to give evidence in the trial, the defence counsel, Abdul Mahmud, raised an objection on the ground that the full statement of the witnesses was yet to be served on them.

Mahmud argued that what prosecution served on them was the summary statement of the four witnesses.

Mahmud stated that the video clips of the witnesses’ statement would be needed to prepare for defence.

He submitted that fundamental rights of the accused must be respected and must be given opportunity to see those evidence.
The lawyer insisted that since the prosecution had the witnesses’ evidence in tape, he demanded that the tape be played in the open court.
The judge, then, asked for a copy of the witness’ statement.

After perusing the summary statement, she directed the prosecution to avail the defence the video clips and electronic materials as requested.
Aliyu in his submission said he would comply with the court’s directive and make them available to the defence team within two weeks.
The AGF lawyer also hinted that the witnesses would be called within five days.

Justice Ojukwu, after taking the arguments, adjourned the matter untill March 11, March 12 and March 13 for definite trial. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Getting a senator as surety is difficult for me – Maina begs court

Published

on

Maina begs court

Abdulrasheed Maina, Chairman, defunct Pension Reformed Task Team (PRTT), on Thursday, again told Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Abuja, that he had been unable to get a senator to stand as surety for his release.
Afam Osigwe, counsel to Maina, who pleaded to the judge during the proceeding, said securing a senator to stand as surety had become a difficult task for his client.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Justice Abang had, on Jan. 28, varied Miana’s bail conditions, following his inability to meet the bail terms granted him on Nov. 26, 2019.

At the resumed trial on Thursday, Osigwe, who told the court that the defence had filed further application for variation of the bail conditions, urged the judge to hear the plea simultaneously.
He also informed the court that counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had already been served with the latest motion.

“My Lord, we hinted the court about the difficulty we have had in finding a senator as surety.
“And without appearing to be stretching the court, we filed a further variation for the conditions of bail of the 1st defendant and we have served the prosecution with a copy.
“We plead that it should be heard today,” he appealed to the judge.
In an affidavit deposed to by a lawyer, Ndidi Ejimadu, on Maina’s behalf, Afam urged the court to vary the bail terms to such that the applicant would be able to fulfill.

According him, Maina has not been able to find senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria who owns a developed property in Asokoro, Maitama, Wise II, Central Business District or Katampe Extension, who is willing to stand as surety for him and execute a bond for N500 million.

He also said that the condition that the lawmaker must come to court to sign register every day the matter is slated for hearing has been impossible for him to meet.

“The applicant will be able to find a reasonable surety, not being a senator or member of the House of Representatives, permanent secretary, directors in the civil service at federal or state level, who will be willing to enter into a bond for such lower sum as the court may direct,” he said.

The lawyer said the court had the power and discretion to vary the bail term to enable Maina fulfill it.
However, Justice Abang stated that he had already given a date to hear the bail variation plea.

He directed the defendant counsel to meet the registrar to confirm the actual date.
NAN later confirmed March 6 as the date fixed for the ruling on the prayer.
NAN reports that Justice Abang had, on Jan. 28, reduced Maina’s bail condition from N1 billion to N500 million with a surety in the like sum who must be a serving senator.


The judge ruled that the surety, who should not have a criminal case pending in any court, must have a landed property fully developed in Maitama, Asokoro, Wuse II, Katampe or Central Business Districts of Abuja, with Certificate of Occupancy attached as evidence.
Abang also ruled that the senator though would always come to the court at every adjourned date, only needed to come and sign a court register that would be opened at the registry. (NAN)

Continue Reading

Breaking News

Kobe Bryant’s Daughter Gianna, 13, Dead Alongside Father in Calabasas Helicopter Crash

Published

on

Kobe Bryant and Daughter

Kobe Bryant’s daughter Gianna also died in the Calabasas helicopter crash that killed their father.

Bryant’s 13-year-old daughter, nicknamed Gigi, was also on board the private helicopter when it went down on Sunday, reps for the former basketball player told TMZ Sports.

Emergency personnel responded but no one on board survived. Five people are confirmed dead, TMZ reported. The outlet said that Bryant’s wife, Vanessa Bryant — with whom he shares all four children — was not onboard.

Sources told ESPN that the helicopter was headed to a travel basketball game for Gianna and that the other passengers were another player and their parent.

Bryant is survived by Vanessa, 37, and their daughters Natalia, 17, Bianka, 3, and Capri, 7 months.

Spokespersons for LA county sheriff’s office and LAPD did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gigi | Paul Bereswill/Getty

Earlier this month, the former NBA star — who retired in 2016 — revealed that he had recently started watching basketball all the time because of his 13-year-old daughter.

“Before Gigi got into basketball I hardly watched it, but now that’s she’s into basketball, we watch every night,” Kobe told former NBA players Matt Barnes and Stephen Jackson on the Showtime Basketball podcast All the Smoke.

Kobe and his daughter also attended several Lakers games before the start of the new year, marking the first time he had been to a game since his jersey was retired in 2017.

“We just had so much fun because it was the first time I was seeing the game through her eyes,” the five-time NBA champion said of sharing the experience with his daughter.

“It wasn’t me sitting there, you know, as an athlete or a player or something like that, and you know it’s like about me, and I don’t like that,” he added. “It was her, she was having such a good time.”

-People

Continue Reading

Trending